Vintage Surf meet 2019 coming soon !

Vintage Surf meet 2019 coming soon !
Free to take part
We buy interesting old boards 60s/70s/early 80s in good condition. Email alasdairlindsay75@gmail.com . Also wanted - Surfing UK , British Surfer and Surf Insight magazines .
Above photo - copyright Rennie Ellis photographer archive

Friday 17 June 2011

first boards

If you remember the days when everyone in the lineup looked like this then you are probably what they politely call 'middle aged' by now. Crazy to think that this board and suit are 30 years old ! The suit has a fetching front zip for showing off the hairy chest /medallion, or possibly avoiding wee in the wetsuit .I think the board could have been made under licence at Ocean Magic.





When I got my first proper surfboard we were just at the end of the neon/ fluro era ( early 90s). This is me and my friend Ed in north wales ( predictably onshore waves but good fun if you didn't know any better) and I'm holding my first board - I'm the one with the camp stance. It was a Spider Murphy 6'10 ish with gloss coat and bright pink fins which I bought at a surf /skate shop in Manchester. Ed had one of those fluoro Sessions boards and caught twice as many waves as me.


By the mid 90s I was on skimpy things like this Pottz and getting used to my future home break of Godrevy.


but soon after a friend gave me this Bilbo which was basically buried in his garden which was a eureka moment - old boards work, float, are fast and fun and cheap and beautiful ......


3 comments:

  1. Alright Al, looking forward the end of the month - may dust off the Bilbo.

    Shaping up for a decent bit of swell on the long range forecast too!

    PS spread the word - if anyone has waveset fin spare bring it along and I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or better still if anyone has a box of them bring them along,and we'll buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh nice surf boards, I actually make boards so if you are interested in a great and original surf board, just hit me up pal!

    ReplyDelete